None of us like having skin that seems to be breaking out constantly. Sometimes a woman may be placed onto the oral contraceptive pill (OCP) in an attempt to ‘balance out’ hormones if they are experiencing ongoing breakouts.
There then comes the time that the woman may choose to come off the pill and it can be an anxious time.
I understand these feelings and aim to work with my clients to ensure they feel supported during this time as they come off the pill.
Here are my tools for re-entering the natural hormone space;
- Get enough sleep – When the body is undergoing healing or change it is extra important to have a good night’s rest. Ideally aim for 8+ hours for the brain and other systems in our body to self clean, regulate and prepare for the new day. If you are struggling with getting to sleep, consider a magnesium or reishi mushroom supplement that can help with not only falling asleep but also having a more restful sleep.
- Exercise – Regular movement of your body not only helps with promoting an increase in hormones that allow you to feel calm, balanced and less stressed it will also encourage your lymphatic (detox system) flow to move. Something as simple as a walk around the block is enough to help support your natural hormone production.
- Seed Cycling – a nutritional support approach that uses a combination of seeds to support your body and hormonal changes at different stages of your cycle in a natural way as you come off the OCP. By bringing together sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds seeds at different stages of your cycle we can boost omega 3s, magnesium, zinc and selenium. My go-to for clients is The Seed Cycle pre packaged seeds. There are 2 phases in the program and both require only 2 tablespoons a day. Easily added to smoothies, a salad, porridge or soup. Seed cycling works by responding to the body’s nutritional needs.
- Skin care – if you are experiencing more breakout than usual whilst coming off the OCP reviewing your skin care is helpful. My favourite product for supporting skin healing is Osmosis Rescue Epidermal Repair Serum – This restorative serum uses the key ingredient Trioxolane to help to repair the skin during times of inflammation and breakouts.
- Charcoal binders – binders attract free floating hormones and encourage removal from your body via the bowel. I love and recommend Osmosis Wellness Skin Defense as it contains charcoal, cruciferous vegetables and glutathione. An amazing detoxifying combination, this can help manage excess hormones and prevent painful breakouts on the jawline.
Our hormones should be embraced and when understood we can use them as superpowers to become more powerful, strong and creative – no one better get in our way!
If you are experiencing breakouts, we look at your face and see what part of the body it may link to using a method called face mapping. This can reveal the source of your trouble and give us a direction to take your homecare rituals and in-studio support.